[texhax] TeX LaTeX ConTeX in industry

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Jul 3 13:18:43 CEST 2008

On Jul 2, 2008, at 10:04 PM, Beverley Eyre wrote:

> I was asked by a colleague about companies that use TeX/LaTeX for
> documents, publications, whatever, either just in-house or for the
> public. I can't imagine how such information could be gotten, but I
> seem
> to recall some such list was prepared at some time in the recent past.

Really, any company that needs to manipulate .pdfs or create them
should consider using pdftex or xetex (or the up-coming luatex).

I regularly use it to create printouts of art programs or lists of
graphic files or to otherwise batch process .pdfs (Adobe Acrobat's
capabilities for this are a bit limited).

Similarly I've used it to develop typesetting backends for a telephone
book line ad generation system as well as one for personalized
children's books --- it's a lot less expensive than licensing InDesign
Server and in many ways more capable.

It's used even more by previous employer. Nifty on-line demo here:

http://cuspub.atlis.com/

Collection of sample .pdfs which were typeset using TeX:

http://www.atlis.com/services/composition/samples/TeX%20Sample%20Pages/

William

--
William Adams