[texhax] ask about package name [search entry]

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Sat Apr 21 01:38:27 CEST 2007

On Reinhard's move towards the general problem of finding
good keywords for searching:

At 00:17 21.04.07, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
>TEDY wrote:
>  > what the name of package that can put some tiny horizontal and
>  > vertical line in the edge of a document, that can be used for
>  > cutting guide line?
>It seems that the problem was to find a good keyword appropriate for a
>Phil & Phil (there is one Phil for plain TeX and one Phil for LaTeX on
>this list:) mentioned the word "crop".
>I think that, if you know what to search for, it makes most sense to
>check the documentation provided by your TeX distribution first.  If
>you are running teTeX or TeXLive on UNIX, you can say:
>     texdoc -s crop

... this problem is rather typical for this list. At the present instance,
TEDY (presumably) didn't know that what he had in mind is called
"crop marks" among publishing experts. Once upon some time ago,
I had molested this list by praising Scott Pakin's "Visual FAQ", cf.


for this reason, where novices can look around for tasks they have in mind 

Moreover, when you are confronted with a certain problem for the first time
in your life, you hardly expect that your question is a frequently asked 
one ...



More information about the texhax mailing list