[texhax] TeX for the blind

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Dec 11 13:35:06 CET 2006

On Dec 11, 2006, at 4:49 AM, Chris Rowley wrote:

> What I hate every second of every day right now is that I cannot keep
> the file open in the reader and get it to update when the file changes
> (on Windows mostly these days).

On sort of work-around for this is to open the .pdf in a web browser,
then you can ``refresh'' to load the updated version. Takes you back
to the first page though.

There's an ``atchange'' or something like that script which I believe
has been mentioned on comp.text.tex. I think it's on CTAN and that it
works w/ Windows.

It's a lot easier just to use TeXshop in Mac OS X, though when I'm
using my pen slate running Windows, I've pretty much conditioned
myself to close the .pdf before switching away from Acrobat, then I
use a button in my tex editor (Dirk Struve's WinTeXShell) to open the
matching .pdf for the main document in Acrobat. This is of course
fine for 1 page documents, but has serious issues w/ anything longer,
which is why, I suppose, I like to use LyX when I'm working in
Windows and doing general writing, but move to Mac OS X if doing
anything where source synchronization &c. is warranted.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.