Side by side

Hartmut Henkel henkel at vh-s.de
Thu Apr 11 10:25:01 CEST 2002

Dear Roger,

with inspiration from Salomon's Advanced TeXBook I found the following:

{\obeylines
  \gdef\aaa#1=#2\endblk{
    \hbox to 140pt{
      \vtop{\hsize=50pt
        \parindent=0pt
        #1}
      \hss
      \vtop{\hsize=90pt
        \parindent=0pt
        \let^^M\space
        #2}}
    \endblk
  }
}

\def\startblk{\hrule\bgroup\obeylines\aaa}
\def\endblk{\egroup\hrule}

\startblk
  Hello
  You
  out there
  in a
  Stack!
=
  Hello
  You
  out
  there
  in a
  Paragraph!
\endblk

\bye

Best Regards

Hartmut

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Roger Gawley wrote:

> Can anyone help? I am trying to format a document using plain TeX. There
> any many instances of a structure like this:
>
>    Concertina Workshop                         Now out of print but
>    Tutor for the English Concertina            excellent if you can
>    by Alistair Anderson                        get it. Folk oriented.
>    Topic Records Ltd                           Accompanying record
>    50 Stroud Green Road                        used to be available, but
>    London N4 3EF                               not necessary.(Authorised)
>    England                                     photocopies available from
>                                                Andy's Front Hall,
>                                                Voorheesville, NY
>
> I have tried to adapt a macro that I have used for addresses for years
> (if you are the long-forgotten contibutor of this macro, many thanks)
>
> \def\address#1=#2={\hbox{\hsize3truein\vtop{#1}\hfil\vtop{#2}}\bigskip}
> {\obeylines
> \address
> Tony Young
> Mowbray House
> Crook
> Co. Durham
> DL15 9JG
> =
> Roger Gawley
> 17 Dryburn Road
> Durham
> DH1 5AJ
> =
> }% stop obeying lines
>
> But I really want lines to be obeyed in the lefthand box, #1, but not in
> the righthand, #2, box. It seems that \obeylines is more subtle than I
> though because no ammount of moving it around seems to produce what I am
> after.
>
> Can anyone spot what I am missing, or more positively, tell me how to get
> the effect I am after?

Dr.-Ing. Hartmut Henkel
von Hoerner & Sulger GmbH
Schlossplatz 8, D-68723 Schwetzingen, Germany
E-Mail henkel at vh-s.de
WWW http://www.vh-s.de