[texdvd] single-layer vs. otherwise

Manfred Lotz manfred at dante.de
Fri Mar 1 09:33:04 CET 2024

On 29.02.24 23:49, Karl Berry wrote:
> Hi Stephen - thanks for the searching. I'm just not seeing a good
> alternative to the dual-layer writing.
>
> Manfred, do you know where the dual-layer discs for the dante
> manufacturing were sourced?

The Dante manufacturing was done with a company and each year I burned a TeX
Collection DVD and sent it to the manufacturer.

> USB drives would be fine, I expect, but they are soooo much more
> expensive than blank dvds (last time I looked, anyway). I don't expect
> anyone to pony up for those. --thanks, karl.

IMHO, this is totally easy. Long ago when I didn't want a disc drive in my
laptop any longer I purchased an external disc drive which can easily be
connected via USB.

It wasn't expensive and I have been using it for the TeX Collection DVD each year.

These devices are also available in the United States. 😁

Here an example from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Cable-Storage-Interface-Compatible-SDRW-08V1M-U/dp/B0B6D8XB74/ref=sr_1_5

Discs are also easily available

https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Double-Layer-8-5GB-LifeSeries/dp/B0BJ59HXBD/ref=sr_1_7