[texdoc] Possible Bug

Ralph Martin martinrr at cardiff.ac.uk
Fri Apr 29 08:04:19 CEST 2022

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or my lack of understanding, but the following behaviour of texdoc is not what I would expect.

I am using texlive 2022, under macos 12. The system language is set to English, and my environment contains LANG=en_GB.UTF-8.

However, when I type
texdoc einfart
I get shown the Chinese information at
/usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/doc/latex/einfart/einfart-doc-cn.pdf
rather than the English information at
/usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/doc/latex/einfart/einfart-doc-en.pdf
appropriate to my LANG and system language settings.

The texdoc documentation seems to say that by default the language of the documentation shown should reflect the system's locale.

I do not have a personal config file:
cat: /Users/ralph/Library/texmf/texdoc/texdoc.cnf: No such file or directory
and I have not changed the system-wide one
/usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist/texdoc/texdoc.cnf

Thanks

Ralph Martin