[texdoc] Bug report

Takuto ASAKURA tkt.asakura at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 17:43:43 CEST 2021

Hi Tiago, hi Norbert,

sorry for my late response.

> - In Debian (and probably on Ubuntu), after the problem is solved by installing the texlive-extra-utils package, I can then uninstall this package and Texdoc continues to work.

This can be a proof that Texdoc actually does not depend on any of the binaries
in the "texlive-extra-utils" (thought I knew it ;-)

A line in the log (thanks Tiago) that could be relevant to this issue:

	texdoc debug-tlpdb: Using shipped tlpdb data.

This means Texdoc refers to a pre-generated database (Data.tlpdb.lua) instead
of actual texlive.tlpdb (or its cache). Perhaps this shipped tlpdb data contains
incomplete or too old information.

My hypothesis is: texlive-extra-utils has the full version of texlive.tlpdb and
once Texdoc runs with it, a cache of the database is generated and Texdoc will
work as expected after that.

If you do not see the above line in the log when it works fine, this hypothesis
should be true. In that case, I don't know what can be an ideal solution because
it depends on packaging policy, but either including full texlive.tlpdb in
texlive-latex-extra-doc or regenerating "the shipped database" to be complete
one will resolve the issue.

Best,
Takuto