Latest TeX Live update breaks PDF build with pdfx package

Robert Alessi alessi at robertalessi.net
Tue Jun 4 12:24:28 CEST 2024

On Tue, Jun 04, 2024 at 11:50:28AM +0200, Martin Sievers wrote:
> Am 04.06.24 um 11:30 schrieb Stephan Lukasczyk:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am pretty sure this is the wrong mailing list, but since many core
> > developers are here and I do not really know where to put this, let me
> > report a bug I encountered after pulling the latest updates for TeX Live
> > 2024 (state 3 June 2024):
> > [...]
> Hi,
>
> I am not a core developer, but I recall, that Ulrike told us in Weimar at
> the DANTE meeting, that the new version of the LaTeX kernel brings some new
> feature regarding groups, which may break pdfx in its current state.
>
> Ulrike, if I remember that wrongly, please correct me.

I am not a core developer either but I can confirm that if you move
the line that loads xmpincl in pdfx.sty (l. 2746) above the
\begingroup that is at l. 2743, eg. just below
\RequirePackage{ifthen}, pdfx works again.

It remains to be seen whether this affects pdfx negatively, but I
think not.

-- Robert