Bug in TL 2024? Cannot create file in upper directory.

khzimmer at posteo.de khzimmer at posteo.de
Sat Apr 6 17:59:17 CEST 2024

Hi,

I just found something that used to work in previous years,
but now, with today's version of TL 2024,
it it no longer possible:

\directlua{
local name = "../Testfile"
local myDocument = assert (io.open (name, "w"), [[Could not open file
"]] .. name .. [[" for writing]])
…
}

See attached file with minimal code example.

But: If I have the same two lua codelines in a .lua file, everything
works fine with the usual commandline:

~/TeX_Live_2024/bin/x86_64-linux/lualatex --luaonly testing_io.open.lua

See attached .lua file.

So might it be a bug that it is no longer possible to create a file that
is not in (or in a sub-dir of) the current directory?

Cheers
Karl-Heinz