texmfcnf.lua is broken for ConTeXt.

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Tue Aug 16 15:39:27 CEST 2022

On Tue, 16 Aug 2022, amano.kenji wrote:
> After reading /usr/share/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf, I concluded that texmfcnf.lua should set TEXMFSYSVAR="selfautoparent:/var/lib/texmf", TEXMFSYSCONFIG="selfautoparent:/etc/texmf", TEXMFDIST="selfautodir:share/texmf-dist".

For Arch based, yes.
For many distribution based TL installations, yes.
But not for TeX Live upstream as installed by our installer.

We do the very thing written above in Debian, but that doesn't mean
it can be done upstream.

> If people who use TexLive installer has no problem with texmf.cnf using the above values for TEXMFSYSVAR, TEXMFSYSCONFIG, and TEXMFDIST, then they wouldn't have a problem with texmfcnf.lua having those same values, either.

Upstream TeX Live user **DO** have problems with the above settings.
If you install TeX Live to
	/usr/local/texlive/2022/
then
	TEXMFDIST=/usr/local/texlive/2022/texmf-dist
and nothing related to share or whatever.

The upstream installer has a different directory layout, namely all
under one directory, then most distributions.

> Arch Linux texlive-core's texmfcnf.lua sets TEXMFOS="selfautodir:share", but I don't know whether TEXMFOS="selfautodir:share" is necessary.

That is in fact rubbish ;-) TEXMFOS doesn't really have a meaning
here. In fact, it is some ConTeXt only what-so-ever to make
ConTeXt developers able to work with files distributed by the OS.

In Debian we comment out this variable:
https://github.com/debian-tex/texlive-nonbin/blob/master/texlive-base/debian/patches/debian-texmfcnf.lua#L49

For other patches necessary, see what is done in Debian:
https://github.com/debian-tex/texlive-nonbin/blob/master/texlive-base/debian/patches/
in particular
	texmf.cnf-debian
and
	debian-texmfcnf.lua

Best

Norbert

Mercari Inc.     +     IFMGA Guide     +     TU Wien     +     TeX Live