tlmgr package dependencies

Maximilian Nöthe maximilian.noethe at tu-dortmund.de
Sat Apr 23 11:02:39 CEST 2022

Hi all,

Seeing issues like these pop up so often and the manual process involved
for fixing them,
wouldn't there an easy, intermediate solution for improving the
situation that's not going "full package management"?

I am thinking something simple like packages could include a simple
"required_texlive_packages.txt"* for packages that
could be included in the source distribution with one package per line?
Sure, it would take some time until a
large number of packages pick this up, but package maintainers normally
know better what they depend on and under which circumstances
than TeX-Live maintainers, right?

Cheers
Max

* more advanced options would be adding files along the lines of a
package.json or pyproject.toml, but that would require
a more thorough design process.

--
Dr.
Maximilian Nöthe