Default Paper Size

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 02:57:23 CEST 2022

On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 at 20:42, Richard Graham <rickhg12hs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering if someone with Fedora "package-fu" could create a
> "fake" RPM that would "satisfy" all other Fedora TeX/LaTeX/texlive
> dependencies.
>
> Would that prevent `dnf` from installing the Fedora texlive package
> and all its dependencies?  If it worked as hoped, if you have already
> installed the full TexLive from TUG/etc., then everything would still
> work and there would be no need to download the gigantic Fedora
> texlive.
>
> This seems like playing with fire but if it worked it sure would save
> a lot of disk space.

I have used dummy packages on Ubuntu LTS systems, but not without
issues.   Some Ubuntu software was configured with paths to TeX programs,
so it was necessary to use the TL install option to create symbolic links.
There
were issues formatting documents on other systems running Ubntu's TL
packages -- mostly with fonts (differing versions and fonts that weren't
provided in Ubuntu's TL packages).   This was a problem when working
on multi-author projects with authors at other institutions.

--
George N. White III