git repo?

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Sun Oct 3 15:54:17 CEST 2021

Hi Tom,

> I see Karl has a git mirror set up for TeX Live, but it's not a mirror of
> the whole svn repo.

If you are talking about
	https://github.com/TeX-Live/texlive-source
this is actually run/updated by me ;-)

> Are there plans to make it completely git based?

There is a git-svn mirror similar to the above at
	https://git.texlive.info/texlive/
(also provided/run by me).

Concerning plans to switch to git completely: no, there is none.
The whole distribution system of TeX Live currently relies on the fact
that svn revisions are strictly increasing, something that is not
reproducible by git (without painful loops).

> I'd love to contribute, but I'd prefer to
> use git for revision control as I am more familiar with it.

I use the git repo exclusively, just being aware that committing stuff
requires
* linear history
* git svn dcommit after git commit

> Apologies if this has been asked before, doubly so if I'm beating a dead
> horse.

Personally, I would LOVE to move to git.
I have done quite some work to make parts of our infrastructure work
with git, because I use the same scripts for contrib.texlive.info
but a complete switch is a completely different dimension which we don't
consider for now.

Best

Norbert

Fujitsu Research  +  IFMGA Guide  +  TU Wien  +  TeX Live  + Debian Dev