Using tlmgr.bat under bash on MS-Windows

Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Wed Nov 24 15:23:51 CET 2021

On 23/11/2021 13:01, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Mon, 22 Nov 2021 14:30:51 +0000 schrieb Philip Taylor (Hellenic
> Institute):
>

>> It is unclear to me what the underlying reason for this discrepancy is.
>> Using (e.g.,) MS Word, I can save an MS Word document as Adobe PDF.  If
>> the previously-saved version is open in Adobe Acrobat (or in Adobe
>> Acrobat Reader), MS Word forces the PDF to close and then re-opens the
>> newly-saved version.  It seems to me that the TeX sub-system ought to be
>> able to accomplish the same thing.
> Which application exactly should do it? Do you really expect
> pdflatex to sent dde commands?
Of course not.  PdfLaTeX's task is to /generate /PDFs, not to display them.
> It makes imho more sense to delegate this task to the editor. My
> editor, winedt, executes the needed commands and so close the pdf if
> needed. (I normally use sumatra for viewing which doesn't lock the
> pdf, but if I need the Adobe reader to check some feature sumatra
> can't handle I can use it.)
I spoke of "the TeX sub-system", by which I included (of course)
utilities such as WinEDT, TeXworks, etc.
--
/Philip Taylor/