AMS/CM fonts in OpenType/CFF format

Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Tue Nov 16 12:54:23 CET 2021

Tom — Seeking to test the results of your project to convert the AMS/CM
fonts in Type 1 format to OpenType/CFF using Adobe's AFDKO, I downloaded
the contents of your Github repository
(https://github.com/tkacvins/CM_OTF/archive/refs/heads/master.zip),
expanded the contents thereof and installed (under Windows) just
"cmr10.otf".  I then asked XeTeX to process the following :

> % !TeX Program=XeTeX
>

> \font \cmr = "cmr10"
>
> \cmr
>
> The quick brown fox jumps right over the laxy dog's back.
>
> \end

The TeXworks PDF previewer indicated that the resulting text scaled
perfectly, so clearly the OTF file was being used (or so I thought).  I
then amended the code to read :

> % !TeX Program=XeTeX
>

> \font \cmr = "cmr9"
>
> \cmr
>
> The quick brown fox jumps right over the laxy dog's back.
>
> \end

and found, to my complete surprise, that the text in cmr9 also scaled
perfectly.  So my question is, "where is XeTeX finding a scaleable
version of cmr9, when the only OTF file that I have installed from your
suite is cmr10 ?".  "Start / Control Panel / Fonts" reveals that only
"CMR 10 Regular" (of your font set) is installed, and a search under
"C:\TeX\Live\2021" finds only :

> cmr9.afm
> cmr9.mf
> cmr9.pfb
> cmr9.pfm
> cmr9.t3
> cmr9.tfm

Is it possible that XeTeX is using the PFB version and ignoring the
string quotes around "cmr9" that should force it to use a system font,
and if so, must I write (/e.g.,/) \font \cmr = "[cmr10.otf]" to force
XeTeX to use /only/ your OTF versions and to report "Font not found" if
the relevant font(s) is/are not installed ?  TeX Live and XeTeX lists
cc'd for comment.

--
/Philip Taylor/