AMS/CM fonts in OpenType/CFF format

Tom Kacvinsky tkacvins at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 01:19:21 CET 2021

On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 1:40 PM Tom Kacvinsky <tkacvins at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 11:30 AM Tom Kacvinsky <tkacvins at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am pleased to announce the start of a project to convert the AMS/CM
>> fonts in Type 1
>> format to OpenType/CFF using Adobe's AFDKO.
>>
>> The public repository is here
>>
>> https://github.com/tkacvins/CM_OTF
>>
>> Feel free to add to it.  I can add contributors as necessary.
>>
>> What is needed is testing, in particular if the fonts are OK with the
>> existing TFM files.
>> I am not quite sure how to get the TeX Live tools to use OpenType fonts.
>> In addition,
>> there are some options/input files missing from my initial creation of
>> the fonts that will
>> be addressed later as I figure them out.
>>
>> Enjoy!  And please feel free to open issues (as necessary) on github and
>> give feedback
>> as to whether I did anything bone headed.
>>

> Ooops, the license needs to be taken care of.  The AMS license says all
> derivative works
> need to have the AMS license/copyright removed.  I am hoping that the AMS
> approves
> the distribution of the OTF flavors of their fonts with their copyright.
> Thoughts?

Another thing that needs to be taken care of is Unicode mappings in the
OTF.
makeotf is botching it when making the cmap table in the OTF fonts because
of the custom encodings of the amsfonts.  Things are not mapping properly.
There is a way around this using an optional file for makeotf that handles
the
glyph to code mapping, but I have had some problems even with that.  Still
trying to work it out with the AFDKO folks.