[EXT] pretest 2021 begin

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Hellenic-Institute.Uk
Fri Feb 26 15:22:56 CET 2021

Norbert Preining wrote:

>> rsync -a --delete --exclude="mactex*" somemirror::/some/path/ /your/local/dir
>>
>> Not being fully awake, I launched CMD but failed to change directory from C:\Windows\System32 to C:\TeX\Live\2021\Pre-test, and as a result, "rsync" attempted to delete everything in (and under) C:\Windows\System32.
> No, no, and again no.
>
> Unless you have a very very strange rsync.
>
>> rsync -a --delete --exclude="mactex*" somemirror::/some/path/ /your/local/dir
>>
>> that will report if the current directory is not empty, and either abort unconditionally or, at the very least, await confirmation from the user that he/she realises that everything in and under the current directory is about to be deleted and is happy with this ?
> There is no difference in the call, you probably simply misstyped
> something.
>
> (Not that expected anything else from you, though!)

What you /might/ expect, Norbert, is that I /copied-and-pasted/ the
command from the page cited, and then added the two additional
command-line qualifiers "-L" (symbolic links) and "-v" (verbose) as
recommended on the same page —

> Add -v if you want to see the names of the files as they are transferred.
> Add -L if your system does not support symbolic links.

Here /is/ the command, copied-and-pasted from the very CMD window into
which it was first pasted and then amended —

  * rsync -a -L -v --delete --exclude="mactex*" texlive.info::tlpretest .

And as to "a very very strange rync", my 'rsync' reports :

> C:\TeX\Live\2021\Pre-test>rsync --version
> rsync  version 3.0.9  protocol version 30
> Copyright (C) 1996-2011 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
> Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
> Capabilities:
>     64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 32-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
>     no socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
>     append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes
>
> rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
> are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
> General Public Licence for details.

Would you care to update your earlier "No, no, and again no" in the
light of this information ?
/--
//** Phil./
//