Packaging acrotex with TeX Live

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 11:08:41 CEST 2020

po 12. 10. 2020 v 16:41 odesílatel Jim Diamond <Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca> napsal:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 11:08 (+0200), Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
> > po 12. 10. 2020 v 9:56 odesílatel Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> napsal:

> >> Sure but the fact that the standard is open since quite some time
> >> means that the probability that only "nonfree viewers" supports  a
> >> feature requested by enough people is quite low. And as expected
> >> searching a bit gives lots of hits outside adobe.
>
> > Unfortunately this is not the case. The Linux version of Acrobat
> > Reader 9 depends on obsolete libraries, their support was discontinued
> > a few years ago and can no longer be installed.
>
> That is not true.  I recently got Acrobat reader 9.5.5 running on
> Slackware64-current (which is very up to date, unlike Slackware 14.2,
> the most recent "released" version of Slackware).  To get it running
> there I needed to install some 32-compatibility stuff (which, as I
> understand it, many 64-bit Linux distributions install by default),
> but that was about it.

Redhat based distributions do not install 32-bit stuff as default but
can be installed automatically as dependences and can also be
installed manually if I explicitly specify it. I use Fedora and AR was
available from Adobe as rpm, hence dnf (previously yum) installed the
required packages. However, these libraries ceased to exist a few
years ago. If the need arises, I still have full commercial Adobe
Acrobat 9 installed in Windows XP running in VirtualBox.

> I don't know if you said earlier which Linux distro / version you use,
> but perhaps installing Acroread is not as impossible as you think.
>
> Having said that, I agree it would be nice if Adobe would create an
> updated version for Linux.
>
>                                 Jim

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz