Packaging acrotex with TeX Live

Boris Veytsman borisv at lk.net
Mon Oct 12 18:55:27 CEST 2020

ZW> From: Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>
ZW> Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 11:08:40 +0200

ZW> Unfortunately this is not the case. The Linux version of Acrobat
ZW> Reader 9 depends on obsolete libraries, their support was discontinued
ZW> a few years ago and can no longer be installed. This means that I am
ZW> not able to fill in the XFA forms for more than two years and I google
ZW> every year. This time I managed to find proprietary Master PDF Editor.
ZW> In the past I tried several other viewers which were incapable of
ZW> opening the XFA form.

This is very unfortunate.

Since the standard is open, I wonder whether (1) there is a developer
willing to implement it in a library/plugin for popular free browsers
like xpdf or evince, and (2) it would be a good idea to use devfund
money to incentivize (1).  I realize this is not strictly TeX issue,
but I'd argue that a free XFA form reader plugin is important for the
TeX wellbeing.  What do you think?

--
Good luck

-Boris

Under any conditions, anywhere, whatever you are doing, there is some
ordinance under which you can be booked.
		-- Robert D. Sprecht, Rand Corp.