Best practice to include non-tex documentation in a CTAN package

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 14:21:42 CET 2020

pá 20. 11. 2020 v 12:37 odesílatel Denis Bitouzé
<denis.bitouze at univ-littoral.fr> napsal:

> >> Sorry, I don't what you mean: what is not a (La)TeX package but a python
> >> package?
> >
> > Louis has uploaded a python program and it is documented by means of
> > python tools (Sphinx).
>
> Okay but suppose someone uploads /a LaTeX package/ documented with
> a `.pdf` file by means of, say, Sphinx (through a `.tex` file requiring
> only packages available with the TeX Live).
>
> Since Sphinx can export the `.rst` as `.tex` files before they are
> compiled as `.pdf` files, what would be:
>
> 1. required by the CTAN/TeX Live team as source file(s),
> 2. the most convenient for the user who would like to modify the
>    documentation:
>
> - just the `.tex` file?
> - just the `.rst` file?
> - both the `.tex` and the `.rst` files?
> --
> Denis

TeX Live is ruled by meritocracy hence I am not the man with the right
to decide. I would just assume that a python user mihgt want to modify
the documentation and in this case the user would want to do it using
Sphinx. When I write my tools in perl, I document them only in POD and
do not distribute the generated TeXinfo and PDF files aasuming that a
perl user knows what to do with POD.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz