Best practice to include non-tex documentation in a CTAN package

Denis Bitouzé denis.bitouze at univ-littoral.fr
Fri Nov 20 12:37:27 CET 2020

Le 20/11/20 à 11h27, Zdenek Wagner a écrit :

>> > The point is that it is not a (La)TeX package byt a python package. If
>> > you want to use it, you need a third party tool (python) anyway.
>>
>> Sorry, I don't what you mean: what is not a (La)TeX package but a python
>> package?
>
> Louis has uploaded a python program and it is documented by means of
> python tools (Sphinx).

Okay but suppose someone uploads /a LaTeX package/ documented with
a `.pdf` file by means of, say, Sphinx (through a `.tex` file requiring
only packages available with the TeX Live).

Since Sphinx can export the `.rst` as `.tex` files before they are
compiled as `.pdf` files, what would be:

1. required by the CTAN/TeX Live team as source file(s),
2. the most convenient for the user who would like to modify the
   documentation:

- just the `.tex` file?
- just the `.rst` file?
- both the `.tex` and the `.rst` files?