uninstalling an old version

Denis Bitouzé dbitouze at wanadoo.fr
Sun Mar 15 18:57:55 CET 2020

Le 15/03/20 à 15h07, James Diamond via tex-live a écrit :

> Just to throw a little gas on the fire, ...
>
> I install TL in /usr/local/texlive/YYYY
> And I have one symlink
>         /usr/local/texlive/current
> which points to a sub-directory of /usr/local/texlive (today it is 2019).
> When I install TL2020 into /usr/local/texlive/2020 I will
> handraulically change just this one symlink to point to 2020.

Indeed, nice method.

> Easy peasy.

Not for an average Linux user. Nowadays, I encounter many Linux users
who aren't geeks. So, could be nice if this could be simplified with
option (menu/button) in tlmgr (-gui).

> My PATH has /usr/local/texlive/current/bin/x86_64-linux

Hence, done manually in your .bashrc, .zshrc, .profile, whatever? Could
be nice if this could be done by the tlmgr!

> and I never need to change that.
>
> (In another message it was suggested to collect some paths and add
> them to .bashrc.  Since I'm here anyway I'll mention that not all
> Linux users use bash.)

Indeed! This is in favor of symlinks :)
--
Denis