uninstalling an old version

James Diamond jim.diamond at acadiau.ca
Sun Mar 15 21:35:15 CET 2020

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 16:49 (+0000), Lars Madsen wrote:

> Also remember that just adding it to .bashrc often is not enough. I
> start everything from the CLI, so I have no issues with this. But a
> user who start their editor using a menu etc will never have had
> their PATH changed as starting the editor never involved a bash
> shell.

This is a good point!

> So I always advise to add it to .profile as well as it is executed
> as part of the login and this the PATH change is seen by the editor
> started from a menu.

This, however, is maybe not.  I think this depends on one's session
manager.  On my system (Slackware64 14.2), I use kdm as the session
manager, and I see /etc/kde/kdm/Xsession has

case $SHELL in
  */bash)
    [ -z "$BASH" ] && exec $SHELL $0 "$@"
    set +o posix
    [ -f /etc/profile ] && . /etc/profile
    if [ -f $HOME/.bash_profile ]; then
      . $HOME/.bash_profile
    elif [ -f $HOME/.bash_login ]; then
      . $HOME/.bash_login
    elif [ -f $HOME/.profile ]; then
      . $HOME/.profile
    fi
    ;;

and so ~/.profile is only read for a bash user if he/she has no
.bash_profile or .bash_login.  (I see that /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession does
read ~/.profile.  But then again my xdm/Xsession sets up the PATH as
to how a user would do it (for known types of shells).

Having said that, are there any Linux X display managers whose setup
doesn't involve sourcing ~/.xprofile?  That seems to me (and I am
prepared to be shot down in flames for this opinion) to be the place
to set up X environment information.

Perhaps what the last week or two of messages tells us is that if
tlmgr can't do all of the setup for things to "just work", perhaps a
"best practices" document suggesting things for different OS users to
do would be useful.  (I realize that effort would have to be expended
writing and maintaining that document, but what I would write for
Linux users would be shorter than what I have written for this e-mail
message.)

Cheers.
                                Jim