TeX Live install calling cc?

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Sat Apr 27 16:29:29 CEST 2019

Folks,

Thanks to everyone for recalling this history from 2013, and to Adam Maxwell for sending the fix he added to TeX Live Utility.

The user who reported this problem confirmed the analysis by doing three experiments for me. In Terminal, which by default has a bash shell, he ran

	cd /usr/local/texlive/2018/tlpkg/installer
	./config.guess

A dialog appeared reported that cc was missing. The output from the second line was x86_64-darwin.

The user than quit Terminal, restarted it, and ran

	cd /usr/local/texlive/2018/tlpkg/installer
	export CC_FOR_BUILD=no_compiler_found
	./config.guess

He got the same output, but no dialog.

Finally, the user quit Terminal, restarted it, and ran the initial test again. The dialog reappeared.

I couldn't do these experiments myself because on modern systems, the Mac doesn't allow items like cc in /usr/bin to be renamed or deleted, even by root.

I will not fix MacTeX-2019 because it is too late, but I'll fix my sources today and the fix will be in any future updates.

Richard Koch