TeX Live install calling cc?

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Fri Apr 26 23:39:03 CEST 2019

> On Apr 26, 2019, at 11:37 , Hironobu Yamashita <h.y.acetaminophen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Dick,
>
>>  "The 'cc' command requires the command line developer tools. Would you like to install the tools now?"
>
> I found a report in TeX Live list in 2013:
> https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2013-October/034385.html
>
> That says, cc is required from config.guess for detecting platform, and
>
>> If there is a different and save way to get the platform name on
>> Apple, let me know. We trued a lot of different things, but none
>> of them worked on all supported archs/os combinations.

Mojca identified a workaround, and I assumed something like it was in
place to keep the Mac from running config.guess.

https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2013-October/034393.html <https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2013-October/034393.html>

TLU still uses CC_FOR_BUILD to bypass the check:

    /*
     Config.guess uses a really stupid test for 64 bit, and invokes the compiler
     stub on 10.9, prompting the user to install dev tools. Setting this envvar
     bypasses that test, so config.guess reports that we are
     i386-apple-darwin12.5.0 vs. x86_64-apple-darwin12.5.0
     for a Mac Pro running 10.8.
     */
    setenv("CC_FOR_BUILD", "no_compiler_found", 1);

-- adam