"command_line_encoding=utf8" in texmf.cnf on windows?

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue Apr 2 10:16:29 CEST 2019

Am Mon, 1 Apr 2019 16:45:37 -0600 schrieb Karl Berry:

> Although any decision for Windows is not up to me, it sounds scary to
> make such a far-reaching change at this moment.

My main concern is about the interface for users.

If we upload the change in latex users will try to use such file
names, and a number will need the command_line_encoding setting. I'm
not sure if I want to explain all the time how to change it by
editing a local texmf.cnf - I was quite relieved when miktex added a
menu entry to call updmap and I no longer had to explain how to find
the command line to run it ;-).

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/