"command_line_encoding=utf8" in texmf.cnf on windows?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 10:34:07 CEST 2019

út 2. 4. 2019 v 10:16 odesílatel Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> napsal:

> Am Mon, 1 Apr 2019 16:45:37 -0600 schrieb Karl Berry:
>
> > Although any decision for Windows is not up to me, it sounds scary to
> > make such a far-reaching change at this moment.
>
> My main concern is about the interface for users.

I am not a Windows users but I see that Microsoft encourages to use
file names with spaces and non-US characters. It is IMHO a good idea
to make them work easily in TeX Live. If it does not break anything, I
would vote to do it but having meritocracy in mind I am not the person
with the right to decide.

> If we upload the change in latex users will try to use such file
> names, and a number will need the command_line_encoding setting. I'm
> not sure if I want to explain all the time how to change it by
> editing a local texmf.cnf - I was quite relieved when miktex added a
> menu entry to call updmap and I no longer had to explain how to find
> the command line to run it ;-).
>

> --
> Ulrike Fischer
> http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/