[tex-live] inclusion of texlive-includernw

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Nov 12 12:33:37 CET 2018

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018, Norbert Preining wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2018, Roger Bivand wrote:
>> Really? Why should the user of the system have to accept a gratiuitous
>> install of about 100MB for just R itself, and perhaps 50MB is additional
>> unneeded packages without asking for them? How may the user know in advance
>
> Well, that is the discrepancy that always will happen when you rescind
> work to others, in this case the packagers.
>
> You can set up your own slackware Linux, and install every single
> package by hand. Then you can select *exactly* what you have installed.
>
> But if you leave decisions to others, by using a distribution, the
> distribution rules apply, even if you don't like them.

I accept that packages are rule makers and those installing packages are
rule takers in general.

I'm only questioning this particular case, as I'm convinced that, after an
R.core installation triggered by a dependency in includernw on R-knitr and
its R package dependency, trying to build the latex in R chunks in the Rnw
file will fail, because they in turn try to load other R packages that are
not available.

Yes, the includernw latex package can run its own example, but that is
about its limit unless the user already has an R installation.

> One of the rules most distributions have is that if you install a
> package it is ready to use, and necessary dependencies are installed.
>
> And for *most* users this is the *correct* way (I stand by this!). For
> those who want something else, they need to invest time and energy, like
> doing equivs packages, installing things only by hand, whatever.

I've bowed to your position as rule maker and mine as rule taker and used
PATH to avoid finding the spuriously installed R version.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand
Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway.