[tex-live] inclusion of texlive-includernw

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Nov 12 15:05:56 CET 2018

Hi Roger,

> I accept that packages are rule makers and those installing packages are
> rule takers in general.

It is a necessity. Consider the average linux distribution with about
20000 packages or more, where R is just a very small part of it.
One needs rules that govern the package usability.

> I'm only questioning this particular case, as I'm convinced that, after an
> R.core installation triggered by a dependency in includernw on R-knitr and
> its R package dependency, trying to build the latex in R chunks in the Rnw
> file will fail, because they in turn try to load other R packages that are
> not available.

This is then a packaging bug. If the maintainer wants to ensure full
functionality, the dependency on R-knitr needs to pull in either
directly or indirectly everything necessary for running at least a
minimal document (I don't say it needs to pull in everything that might
be possible at all under any conceivable situation, though!).

If even the most simple case of document cannot be compiled after
installation despite installing parts of R, this is a bug of the package
and should be reported to the maintainer.

> I've bowed to your position as rule maker and mine as rule taker and used
> PATH to avoid finding the spuriously installed R version.

That is not my rule. That has been the rule since the conceivment of
Unix, long before I was born.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer