[tex-live] musixtex in texlive-2010

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Sep 24 08:29:22 CEST 2010

Bob Tennent <rdt at cs.queensu.ca> wrote:

>  >|Can you point us to a consistent release of musixtex which CTAN and TL
>  >|can hold?  ("Taupin's last release", wherever that may be?)  Or prepare
>  >|one, if there isn't one :)?  This would help move things along
>  >|tremendously.
>
> Since Daniel Taupin died, musixtex has been maintained by
>
> Don Simons <dsimons at roadrunner.com>
> Jean-Pierre Coulon <coulon at obs-nice.fr>
> Hiroaki MORIMOTO <CQX05646 at nifty.com>
>
> The T-114 rev. 4 release is the most recent and is available here:

the same one on ctan?  i presume not.

> http://icking-music-archive.org/software/indexmt6.html

that's not a coherent bundle.  it's a mish-mash of things that may or
may not be necessary for a release, all inconsistently named.  what
fonts, for example?  what additional packages?

if there was an identifiable bundle, i would have it on ctan, and karl
wouldn't need to ask.

> But why re-do what Jindrich Novy at Red Hat (jnovy at redhat.com) has
> already done: package up musixtex and friends in tex-live-2010
> compatible packages. I pointed him to the Icking site in April.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive#Documentation

but jindrich only built musixflx for two architectures (ix86, x64).
would the 18 images that tl already has work with current musixtex suffice?

> Unfortunately, the icking-music-archive.org-tex-music mail list
> doesn't seem to be functioning, but I've alerted Don Simons to
> this issue.

and since i don't have a working means of mirroring the directory into
ctan, the only chance ctan has of keeping up _is_ via a mailing list.
(though i don't recognise the name of that one.)

my assumption has always been that no-one cares any longer about the
ctan copy, since werner died.  which is why tl is out of date (the ctan
directory is a mess) and why jindrich therefore had to package
separately.

perhaps it would be better to move all of the ctan musi* trees to
obsolete/, and for me to forget about it?

robin