[tex-live] $TEXMFHOME not working right

Joel C. Salomon joelcsalomon at gmail.com
Tue May 18 00:45:01 CEST 2010

On 05/17/2010 04:48 AM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Le 17/05/2010 02:27, Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :
>> Yeah, let's add TEXMFHOME to TEXMFDBS again.  This solves many
>> problems.
>
> It would re-introduce other problems. You probably think the problems it would
> solve are greater than the problems it would introduce, apparently we don't
> weight problems the same way.
<snip>
> I see no urging reason to change (or even discuss about changing) a setting that
> has been there for 3 years without creating numerous complains, right now.

As the OP on this thread, may I weigh in with my $0.02?

I’d like a choice.  If I often add or change things in TEXMFHOME, having
to recreate ls-R every time becomes a pain.  If my home directory is
across the network, having ls-R becomes a tremendous time-saver.  So…
just tell me that.

On my home system, I’ll very gladly do without ls-R in TEXMFHOME.  On my
portable flash drive installation, and when I administer a network, I
now know to add TEXMFHOME to TEXMFDBS.  As for what the default should
be, perhaps “all true believers shall break their eggs at the convenient
end”.

—Joel Salomon