[tex-live] Value of TEXDOCS in texmf.cnf needs adjustment ?

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Tue Dec 14 11:07:21 CET 2010

> I am afraid texmf-local is a dangerous place for texmf.cnf because it
> is shared between texlive versions. Imagine you modify texmf.cnf now
> for TL2010. It may happen that TL2011 will require some changes in
> texmf.cnf and will not work with texmf.cnf from TL2010. Even if you
> completely uninstall TL2010 before installing TL2011, texmf-local will
> not be deleted. Thus TL2011 will find your old texmf.cnf and will not
> work.

I see your point. I had the worry that personal modifications I made
to the texmf.cnf at the top of the distribution would be lost in an
upgrade, however this was silly on my part as  I had forgotten that
TexLive would install an entirely new 2011 repertory, so whatever I had
done to the 2010 repertory would still be there in case of need of
reproduction

thanks,
Jean-Francois