[tex-live] Value of TEXDOCS in texmf.cnf needs adjustment ?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 11:01:25 CET 2010

2010/12/14 jfbu <jfbu at free.fr>:
> Hi Karl,
>
> I have a kind of auxiliary question [probably not important enough to create
> another topic]
>
> When I was fiddling with the texmf.cnf at the top of texlive/2010,
> I thought that it would be better for my modifications to be in
> texlive/texmf-local
>
> however kpsewhich does not find copies I created in texlive/texmf-local

I am afraid texmf-local is a dangerous place for texmf.cnf because it
is shared between texlive versions. Imagine you modify texmf.cnf now
for TL2010. It may happen that TL2011 will require some changes in
texmf.cnf and will not work with texmf.cnf from TL2010. Even if you
completely uninstall TL2010 before installing TL2011, texmf-local will
not be deleted. Thus TL2011 will find your old texmf.cnf and will not
work.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/