[tex-live] Value of TEXDOCS in texmf.cnf needs adjustment ?

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 14 12:03:24 CET 2010

On 14 December 2010 09:47, jfbu <jfbu at free.fr> wrote:
> I have a kind of auxiliary question [probably not important enough to create
> another topic]
>
> When I was fiddling with the texmf.cnf at the top of texlive/2010,
> I thought that it would be better for my modifications to be in
> texlive/texmf-local
>
> however kpsewhich does not find copies I created in texlive/texmf-local
>
> ~% ls /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/texmf*
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/texmf.cnf
>
> ~% kpsewhich --all texmf.cnf
> /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf.cnf
> /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
>
> Wouldn't it be better if one could put a texmf.cnf in texmf-local?

It's not a god idea (as Zdenek wrote already), but you can---you just
used the wrong place---see the definition of TEXMFCNF kpse var:

  kpsewhich --expand-braces \$TEXMFCNF

(WARNING: do not mess with this variable or you may end up with an
unusable installation).

I also feel compelled to point you to:

  texdoc kpathsea

so you get a better idea how things work.

Cheers,

Tomek