[tex-k] bug in The TeXbook

Shreevatsa R shreevatsa.public at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 08:52:18 CET 2021

Whether or not this is a "bug" by someone's definition, this (use of "he"
for a generic person) is likely something that Knuth would like to know
about, and ought to be passed on to him. He has mentioned in a couple of
places about taking out sexist pronouns (his words) from his writings when
he gets a chance to republish / make new editions. I remember seeing it in
print somewhere, but he mentions it somewhere near the beginning of this
2003 talk at the Computer History Museum:
https://www.computerhistory.org/collections/catalog/102622137

As another example, the preface to Volume 1 of TAOCP (page v) had, in the
first edition (1968) the sentence:
> "The prerequisites are actually very simple, but a beginner requires time
and practice before he properly understands the concept of a digital
computer."
In the second edition (1973) the "he" has a footnote (which is why I
noticed this):
> "* or she. Masculine pronouns in this book are usually not intended to
connote gender. Occasional chauvinistic comments are not to be taken
seriously."
In the third edition (1997), the "he" is gone:
> "The prerequisites are actually very simple, but a beginner requires time
and practice in order to understand the concept of a digital computer."

All this is just to say, might as well pass it on.