[tex-k] trouble with webmac21.tex

Joachim Kuebart joachim.kuebart at gmx.net
Sat Feb 20 16:36:54 CET 2021

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 at 12:09, Wolfgang Helbig <helbig at mailbox.org> wrote:

> Still I'd like to know the cause. The redefinition of \N in tex.web
> might conflict with the changes in webmac.tex.

Playing around I found that if \M is modified to produce any output
(even just whitespace) when \ifon=\iffalse, the problem disappears.
The only apparent difference in that case is a higher resulting page
count due to the extra whitespace.

So my theory is that a large number of \mark calls issued by \N on the
same page cause the memory to be exhausted. This sounds enigmatic, but
it's really all I have time for today..

All the best,

Joachim