[tex-k] segfault in texlive2020 pdftex/luatex/xetex/ptex/...

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed May 27 23:38:18 CEST 2020

    > so it seems that the issue isn't specific to cygwin other than
    > it kicks in sooner with the default values,

Thanks for the report. I guess :).

    I vaguely remember that Jonathan introduced expand_depth
    in order to exit before segmentation fault, but I may be wrong.

The goal would be to detect the problem and exit (not necessarily with a
nice TeX error message) before crashing. The programs should never
crash, regardless of any parameter value. (Apart from people changing
their environment to induce crashes in normal situations, like
arithmetic overflow. That's not our problem.) --thanks, karl.