[tex-k] TeXbook: suggestion about "manual.tex"

胡亚捷 (Hu Yajie) 2500418497 at qq.com
Wed Dec 9 15:01:11 CET 2020

(This is a reply to Igor's bug report back in May 2019.)

> In TeXbook, page 418, it is said about file `manual.tex'.
> This is a little confusing where this name comes from,
> because it is not in the index, and especially when one
> is aware that TeXbook is generated from file `texbook.tex'.

Well, many descriptions in the TeXbook are outdated, for example
the name confusion with the Text EXecutive processor in Chapter 1,
and the statement that "videotapes of these courses are available
for rental" from TUG in Appendix J :)

If this counts as a bug, the name "letterformat.tex" in Appendix E
will also count, since the file is distributed as "letter.tex" in
Knuth's local distribution.

If this doesn't count as a bug, it may be better to drop my earlier
report on A299 and C226 at
https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-k/2020-November/003370.html
because it was possible that back in the 80s version differences were
the major cause of "fatal format file errors" and file corruptions
were so rare/trivial as to be not worth mentioning.

----

Previous reports:
https://github.com/dine2014/texbook-mfbook-bugs/blob/master/bugs.md