[tex-k] Error in TeXbook?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Dec 7 00:21:44 CET 2020

Hi Wolfgang,

    page A47, line 2

Just for the record, at some point this text moved to page A46, near the
bottom.

    reads: "If there are no more characters in the line, the name is empty."

Followed by "(like \csname\endcsname)".

    *\show\
     > \^^M=macro:

Yes, but I believe this is not the case of "no more characters in the
line". The preceding paragraph says "... it inserts a <return>
*character* ... at the right end of the line" (my emphasis :).

I believe the case of "no more characters" is this:

$ tex
This is TeX...
**\endlinechar=-1

*\show\
> \csname\endcsname=undefined.

Thanks,
Karl

P.S. Your other report about <*> looks valid to me. Checking with others...