[tex-hyphen] I am coding a mobile that uses TeX hyphen file...

Christopher Camacho christopher_g_camacho at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 8 17:39:30 CEST 2021

Hi Luke,
I am like you: I am not a lawyer and dislike this part, but I want to start a business and have to deal with it.
The GPL or GNU licence is a real problem because it states that code must be open source AND all additional code that uses the GPL licence code must also be open source.
That would mean I would have to make my product open source but as I have been working on my product since April at my own expense, I am very unwilling to do that.
I worked briefly for Samsung in Staines and they were almost paranoid about the GPL licence.
If my product makes money, I am very willing to contribute to TUG but I simply can’t afford to have my product open source.
Having gone over 44 files this morning, here is what I found:
16 lppl
13 mit
6 GPL (Czech, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Latvian, Slovak)
2 BSD
6 very vague or none really.
1 missing Serbian Latin
It would be great if I could include links to as many hyphen files as possible. However, my product does not support right to left writing. That excludes Arabic and Hebrew. Are there any others? Chinese, Japanese and Korean can be written in all directions I understand so Left to Right is OK.
Serbian Latin has been removed very recently.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Camacho