[tex-hyphen] I am coding a mobile that uses TeX hyphen file...

Arthur Rosendahl arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Fri Oct 8 16:58:55 CEST 2021

	Hello Christopher,

On Fri, Oct 08, 2021 at 08:20:45AM +0000, Christopher Camacho wrote:
> I am coding an app that uses Knuth-Liang algorithm for hyphenation.
> I have already been in touch with Tug and was warned about GPL licence on some hyphen files.
> Having worked for Samsung, I am aware the GPL licence is a real problem and I must exclude all links to files with such a licence from my product.

  As Phil somewhat awkwardly points out in his reply to you, the fact
that the GPL “is a real problem” for Samsung does not necessarily imply
that it would be a problem for you to publish an app containing GPL’d
code on (presumably) Apple’s App Store or Google Play.  It may very well
be, but those are simply (three) different questions.

  As for the LPPL, the readers of this mailing list have learned that it
actually is a problem for Google’s Android Open Source Project (see
archives from December 2015 – January 2016) -- which of course does not
mean it necessarily would be for Google Play.

  I don’t think that any of the other licences are likely to be an issue
-- but I am not a lawyer either.

	Best,

		Arthur