[tex-hyphen] hyphenation for Hebrew

Yannis Haralambous yannis1962 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 17:52:59 CET 2021

dear Yonatan,

> Le 1 mars 2021 à 21:59, Yonatan Zilpa <yz11235 at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> I'm looking for auto line breaking.

Of course, hyphenation should always be automatic.

> Sometimes the line gets overflowed and I need to run the \linebreak command.

I guess you mean the \- command (linebreak is for breaking between words, not inside words)

> Writing hyphenation rules in Hebrew seems to be impractical

I don't think the adjective "impractical" fits here. Hyphenation rules have to be written once,
and then they can be used by everyone. Somebody has to write them.

In my previous message I developed the difficulties of this task and was asking whether
(1) you just want somebody to provide a solution to your problem
(2) you are willing help us in providing this solution, by working on this task, since you are
     a native Ivrit speaker (and we are not)

This task involved linguistics, natural language processing and computing on large corpora.
It is not "impractical", but difficult and most satisfying as a challenge.

> and the default English hyphenation pattern doesn't apply in Hebrew.

How could they? English is written in ASCII and Hebrew in the range U+05xx of Unicode.
Hyphenation is not phonetic but depending on the encoding of the text.

But even in other Latin-alphabet languages, applying English hyphenation is WRONG, each
language has its own rules, some phonetic, others morphological, others etymological, and
others a mixture of various behaviors. Hebrew is most interesting for the reasons I exposed
in the previous mail, reasons that made Uzzi Ornan spent more than an hour talking about it,
he didn't found it "impractical", and he has played an important role in the history of Ivrit.

Yannis

 <http://www.imt-atlantique.fr/>	Yannis HARALAMBOUS
Professor
Computer Science Department
UMR CNRS 6285 Lab-STICC
 <http://perso.telecom-bretagne.eu/yannisharalambous/> <https://twitter.com/y_haralambous> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/yannis-haralambous-5529073?trk=hp-identity-name>Technopôle Brest-Iroise CS 83818
29238 Brest Cedex 3, France
Une école de l'IMT <http://www.imt.fr/>
… according to legend, an RCA Marketing Manager
received once a nightly phone call from a disturbed customer.
His 301 had just hyphenated “God.”     (Paul E. Justus)