[tex-hyphen] Hyphenation of Uyghur

Yannis Haralambous yannis1962 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 23:00:17 CET 2021

dear TeX-hyphen members,

I'm new to this list (although not necessarily new to TeX hyphenation :-)

Here is the problem: we are preparing hyphenation patterns for Uyghur, written in Arabic script.
As letters must be in initial/medial form before the hyphen and medial/final form on the next line begin,
I was wondering if we could change TeX internals so that instead of one, three hyphenchars are used:
^^^^200d and `-' on the upper line and ^^^^200d on the lower line, in order to obtain the equivalent
of \discretionary{^^^^200d-}{^^^^200d}{}

Arthur said he would have a different solution.

I would personally play with the DVI (resp. XDV) file, even though the widths of initial/medial forms
are quite different from those of final/isolated forms, which would require a global redistribution of
space in the line.

Cheers,

Yannis

 <http://www.imt-atlantique.fr/>	Yannis HARALAMBOUS