[tex-hyphen] Finnish basic hyphenation rules

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Mon Jun 15 21:27:28 CEST 2020

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 04:08:04PM +0300, Teemu Likonen wrote:
> Arthur Reutenauer [2020-05-18T22:51:44+02] wrote:
>
>>   I wanted to reply earlier but was busy with other things. Sorry
>> about that, and also for announcing that there will be more delay
>> because I’m still busy with yet other things, I’m getting married on
>> Saturday :-) I will reply for real some time next week.
>
> It's great to hear from you and congratulations! I'm sure you have now
> better things to do. :-)

  Thanks all for your good wishes :-)

  I’d like to resume the conversation now.  We left off at the choice of
a name for the new patterns.  I’m still not convinced by the label
“basic”, because it cannot be used either as a description or a
reference.  I suggested something derived from “one-consonant rule”,
because that’s what the patterns implement, much more closely than the
original patterns for Finnish, that hyphenate for example
“de-mo-kraat-ti”, “kon-kreet-ti-nen”, and -- at least on principle --
try to break at word boundary in compounds.  But we can also choose
another name.  You write that these rules are taught in school in
Finland.  What about “school”?

	Best,

		Arthur