[tex-hyphen] should bahasa be a synonym for Indonesian?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 08:42:50 CET 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 4:59 AM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> Compiling the attached document gives the following error on TeX Live 2013:
>
> luatex-hyphen: no entry in language.dat.lua for this language: bahasa
>
> After changing the language to "indonesian", it compiles fine.
>
> Should bahasa be a synonym for indonesian?
>
> This thread seems relevant:
> http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/tex-hyphen/2011-January/000732.html

Hi,

I tried to collect information through different websites now. We have
a slightly related situation with "Norwegian" where "Norwegian" itself
is not a language, but a common word for two languages, Nynorsk and
Bokmål. Nowadays "norwegian" is a synonym for "bokmal", but for purely
historical/compatibility reasons, other than the fact that the
patterns actually cover both languages.

Now, I understand there are plenty different languages spoken there,
but the local name of the official language is "Bahasa Indonesia". The
problem is that according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahasa:

It may refer to: Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Melayu, Bahasa Sūg, Bahasa
Betawi, Bahasa Ciacia, Myanma bhasa, Bahasa Isyarat Malaysia, Bahasa
Malaysia Kod Tangan Bahasa, Bahasa gaul / Bahasa prokem ... (and a few
others where it's written slightly different like Basa Sunda). <<<<

Now, unless the patterns are valid for all the listed languages, I
find it hard to justify making "bahasa" a synonym for the official
Indonesian language only.

But lacking any local first-hand knowledge about the language, you may
argue/explain why such a change would be important and why it wouldn't
be discriminatory towards other Asian langugage to make "bahasa" a
synonym for "Bahasa Indonesia" only.