[tex-hyphen] should bahasa be a synonym for Indonesian?

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 14:57:59 CET 2013

Yes, from the point of view of historical phonology, "bahasa" is derivable
from Sanskrit bhāṣā (=भाषा) or perhaps Pali bhāsā (भासा).  From the eighth
century on, Buddhism and Brahmanical religion were a strong influence in
the Indonesian islands, right up to the time of the widespread
establishment of Islam from about the 14th century.

But the proper name of Indonesia's language is nevertheless, as far as I
know, "Bahasa Indonesia."

Best,
Dominik