[tex-hyphen] liturgical latine

Elie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sun May 9 11:38:45 CEST 2010

Arthur Reutenauer a écrit :
>   You mean that it has been existing since a hundred years, or that it
> existed for a hundred years, some time ago?  Not that it matters, of
> course, I'm only curious.

IIRC, the reform of the liturgical latine comes from Saint Pius X
(1903-1914). The goal was to define an official pronunciation and avoid
the very typical ones that you can still ear in some monasteries of
France, like "us" pronunced like french "usse", and "um" pronunced like
a french "eumme". Now basically the rules for the pronunciation are the
same as italian (even for ci prononced like a french "tchi"), except for
æ which is like a french "é", and "h" which is somewhere between the
english h and the k. The reform also introduced the accents to help
readers reading latine correctly, and to avoid terrible french accents
(that you can also still ear in some monasteries), with all the ending
syllables accentuated. It also helps a bit for the singing, especially
for psalmody.

>   So the only difference with written medieval Latin are the accents?

Hmm... the history of the writing of latine is quite blur to me... but
in modern liturgical latine, æ is prononced as a single vowel instead of
a diphtong as it used to be, so the ligature is written (it was written
"ae" when it was a diphtong). We also use j (in ejus for example) and i,
which I'm not sure was the case in medieval latine (where there was no
j). About the v and the u though, I think medieval latine had both, it's
the case in modern liturgical latine too.

I think the best way to go is to use \savinghyphcodes and ask Claudio
about a change in the file. I'm just realizing that I don't know how the
\lccode things are handled with the new system... the hyph-xx.chr.txt
are not handled right now. Where should these things go?

Thank you,
--
Elie