[tex-hyphen] liturgical latine

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Sun May 9 11:59:17 CEST 2010

> I'm writing some books with TeX using liturgical latine, which for about
> 100 years contains accents.

  You mean that it has been existing since a hundred years, or that it
existed for a hundred years, some time ago?  Not that it matters, of
course, I'm only curious.

> 100 years contains accents. The accents do not change the sounds but the
> accentuation, so any vowel can be accentuated: ǽ, ý (in Kýrie eléison
> only), é, á, í, ú and ó.

  So the only difference with written medieval Latin are the accents?

> Would it be possible to hyphenate the accentuated latine with the same
> patterns as the non-accentuated one?

  I have no idea at all.

>                                      Or should I rewrite it?

  Best no to, if we can avoid it.

>                                                              If the best
> is to add some patterns, how do you think we should proceed?

  Obviously, the first thing you need to do is to contact Claudio
Beccari, the author of the original file, and ask him about his opinion
on the matter.  Mojca and I, as the maintainers of hyph-utf8, are only
repackaging all the files, but we won't touch the actual content without
the agreement of the original author.

  I see in hyph-la.tex that the file supports both "the patterns of
modern  Latin and those of medieval Latin", so I guess the patterns
could be extended without the need to create another file.

  The contact information for Claudio listed in the pattern file is

	Claudio Beccari
	Politecnico di Torino
	Torino, Italy
	e-mail beccari at polito.it

  You can put me in Cc if you contact Claudio.

	Yours,

		Arthur