[tex-hyphen] hyphenmins in latex formats

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Tue Mar 23 16:53:46 CET 2010

On 21/03/2010 01:22, Karl Berry wrote:
>      needs to specify hyphenmins by hand for each language.
>
> Specifically, it's a declaration in the .ldf files, right?

Indeed.
>      prefer if all latex formats would provide the default hyphenmin values
>      for all languages whose patterns are compiled in the format.
>
> So polyglossia (for example :) can use them, instead of duplicating the
> settings?  I'm just trying to understand ...

Right. The idea being that it is better if the default values for
hyphenmins are centrally set by the creators of hyphenation patterns
and/or the maintainers of hyph-utf8. Also to be consistent with the
plain formats which get their hyphenmin data from one central config file.

>      #2 2
>
> I'd be tempted to use a control sequence instead of a special character.

That would not be consistend with the way hyphen.cfg parses the lines in
language.dat.

>      not sure about the chances of it being integrated officially into Babel.
>      What are your views on this?
>
> Although it makes sense in principle, I have doubts that such a change
> would be accepted in LaTeX 2e Babel, when other much less radical
> changes have been rejected.

That was my feeling too, but I've never ventured into this area before.

> However, I encourage you to submit a bug (enhancement) report to the
> latex bugs database about it.  That is the best way I know to get the
> LaTeX team members to look at an issue (though there is no guarantee, of
> course).  Sending email to latex-l or any other list (let alone
> any individual) does not have the same effect.

OK, I'll try this. Thanks.

François