[tex-hyphen] hyphenmins in latex formats

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 09:46:04 CET 2010

2010/3/20 François Charette wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I believe some hyphenation files do set the hyphenmins themselves,
> but probably only few of them, right?

- In LaTeX none of them do, at least not in TeX Live.
- If the limits were set in the usual way before loading patterns,
they would set upper limit on the values that are possible to use in
the document (at least that is what I have been told). That is: if I
would set \righthyphenmin=5 before loading patterns, that would mean
that setting it to any smaller value during typsetting would have no
effect.
- In plain TeX limits are set everywhere in TeX Live, though I don't
know how these values are used (I'm not sure if they are used during
pattern loading or during typesetting - that is - I'm not sure if
that's reversible or not).